Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Asparagus



I've heard that people who lose their eyesight sometimes increase their other senses. I have lost around fifty percent of my vision to glaucoma and from some recent incidents I'm thinking that it may be true. For instance, the other evening I let Bette out in the dog run to do her thing. As I stood there urging her on, I noticed a familiar aroma wafting through the air. It was the unmistakable odor of one of my neighbors. Beer, body odor, and cigarette smoke. Then the same evening, much later, I was walking Chandler around the block and at one point a young woman walked past us in the dark. Chandler gave a bark, which he always does to strangers in the night, and the young woman scurried on ahead of us. As she moved away I picked up an odor that I remembered from some people I knew in Chicago. It was the smell of poverty. I know that one component of the poverty smell is unwashed laundry, usually being worn, plus body odor, beer, and cigarette smoke. Notice that my neighbor is not poor. They have a washer and dryer and do laundry almost daily. I know that because I can smell the fabric softener. I thought about all this sense of smell stuff because I was just in the bathroom taking a leak, and I was reminded that Mark made asparagus for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment