Friday, November 21, 2014

Ooooh Oooh That Smell...



I just got back from Abandoned Pet Rescue. I volunteered to do something that I've never done before. I'm filling in for APR employees who take care of the big dog kennel and need a day off. I will do the same thing on Sunday, and then on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. The job description would be that you are cleaning the kennels, but there is so much more to it than just 'cleaning'. What it involves is putting all the dogs out in the big dog run, cleaning their cages while they are out there, putting food in their cages so that when they come back in they have something to look forward to, and then cleaning the big dog run when all the dogs have been put back inside. It sounded easy when I first volunteered to do it, and while it's not too hard, it also isn't that easy. There is one prevailing factor that you have to deal with more than any other thing the entire time you are there, and that is shit. The dog shit smell, and the dog shit that produces it. There is dog shit in the cages, dog shit on their bedding, dog shit on the walls, dog shit in the most unlikely places, shit, shit, shit, everywhere shit. Some of the dogs are fully house broken and will choose to explode before they make a mess in their cages. If you want to adopt one of those, I'll tell you who they are. But many of the dogs there poop at the drop of a squeaky toy. Food in one end, poop out the other in an never ending flow. Some of the dogs return to the cage that I just scooped out, scrubbed, and disinfected, and immediately poop as if they are trying to tell me something. When I finished today my clothes smelled like dog shit, my hair smelled of it, and I think I got some in my mouth because I'm sure I can taste it. I don't know how the paid employees of Abandoned Pet Rescue deal with this onslaught of dog shit day after day, but I do know that they are not paid enough to do it. In fact they couldn't pay me enough to do it. That said, I just did it for free and I plan to do it again on Sunday and Wednesday. But if I were doing it for money, there wouldn't be enough.
Hi, I'm Kobe and I'd rather explode than make a mess in my kennel.

7 comments:

  1. First ^Hahahaha Hostess! Secondly Trish and I did that weekly at PAWS Tinley Park. But it was the stray cages. Lots of those dogs are mean. We got the feeling the woman running the place didn't like us very much....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the dogs who are continually shitting should be grain free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Patti, how long did it take to get the smell of shit out of your nose? I think it has permeated my nose hairs, I may have to pluck them all out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alan, you need a heavy duty face mask for your next job!! Also a bandanna on your head! You really do have a big heart, you cranky old man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God for people like you Alan. You have a big, loving dog heart. I couldn't even though I love dogs. Just going in to a shelter to look for a dog to adopt is hard enough, but to clean it. I agree with you - the employees who deal with that on a daily basis don't get paid enough. The dogs love you for it Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Kobi! I can't believe he's still there. What a nice dog.

    ReplyDelete