Friday, April 11, 2014

Play Ball... I said, Play Ball.



Woo hoo! It's baseball season again. Another "exciting" season that starts while there's still snow on the ground and doesn't finish until the kids are carving pumpkins. I like baseball, I've gone to games since I was a kid and watched it on television for just as long. But let's face it, the season is way too long. Unless your team still looks promising in August, most people lose interest as soon as football starts. In addition to the fact that the baseball season is a marathon, the individual games can go on for hours and hours with little action. I have always thought that ball games should be cut to only seven innings. Seeing that I usually fall asleep by the second inning, I don't see much need for nine. I mean, how much nap time do I really need? There should also be a rule that says the pitcher and batter can only scratch their balls once per at-bat, and batters can only rearrange their packages in the dugout before going up to bat. This could cut at least thirty minutes from the length of a game.
            So yesterday afternoon I was watching baseball and thinking, how much slower can they make this? Well, they have found a way. Replay! Now every time an umpire is a little unsure of a call, they stop the game and go watch a replay. Not sure if that was a home run? Replay. Catcher blocks the plate, or maybe not. Replay. Besides the umpires discretion to go watch the play they just saw, the managers also have the option of challenging a play. Meanwhile, in the stands, the fans are getting more drunk and more bored. And at home, I've fallen asleep for five hours in the middle of the day.

5 comments:

  1. Seeing as you're an expert, Alan...
    do baseball players still wear cups? I think about that every time they grab their packages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my children were little I would plan "our" naps at the beginning of a ballgame. Sure enough, all of us were out cold by the 2nd inning, just like you! I hate watching baseball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hostess, I would think that baseball players would wear some kind of protection down there. Foul balls bounce off all kind of things, and if they aren't protected that would really be foul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a sports fan, never was unless I was playing softball in the street with friends! I used to think golf was boring to watch but I find it all a waste of time and money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Peggy above, I never watch sports -- unless the Tigers are in the world series.

    ReplyDelete