Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pain in the Brain


Tardigrade, about 1 millimeter in size

I did not watch the original series, Cosmos with Carl Sagan. I think that's because it was on back in the 1980's and I was busy working and drinking. Not necessarily in that order. I am however, addicted to the new Cosmos with Neil deGrasse Tyson. It's fascinating, entertaining, educational, and most of all it is scary. This week he went small, sub-atomic small, while last week he went big, to the outer reaches of the known universe. I find it very discomforting that the world as I know it is surrounded by such violent and disturbing things like exploding suns and tardigrades, infinitesimal animals that live in the water. When Neil deGrasse Tyson starts talking about the vast expanse of the universe and the tiny molecules that make up our bodies, my brain hurts. It literally hurts thinking of all those things. Meanwhile, in the bedroom, Mark is watching The Real Housewives Swap Husbands with Celebrities, or something like that. Once in a while I'll be in the bedroom and I'll be too lazy to get up and leave when one of those shows comes on. I have found myself watching Mark's shows on more than one occasion. Interestingly, they also make my brain hurt from watching them. They also make me just a little bit sad.

6 comments:

  1. I'm trying to DVR Cosmos, but my girlfriend has clogged that time slot with senseless crap. We're in the same cosmic boat, Alan, swimming in a sea of tardigrades and dust mites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my cable I can get it On Demand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But how to tear the remote out of my girlfriend's hot little hand...these are the mysteries of my Cosmos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All bullshit, the earth is only 7000 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you're just being sarcastic anonymous, but I am always amazed that people will believe a guy built a boat and could fit every single animal on earth into it. That a man called himself the 'son of god' and walked on water. He then was killed and came back to life three days later. That another man parted the seas, and talked to a very angry and vindictive god. But science? Impossible to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did we avoid the brainwashing, Alan? I think you would like the site "I fucking love science"....I do. And we watched the original Cosmos, "billions and billions of years ago"!

    ReplyDelete